We spent 3 days investigating some of the performance issues reported recently on feedly on chrome. The result is in: The AddThis chrome extension makes loading feedly on Chrome very slow and delays the loading of feedly pages by 5 to 20 seconds, completely hanging the browser during that time.
The work around to this problem is simple: go to chrome://extensions and disable the AddThis extension.
We have sent an email to AddThis with the result of this research so hopefully they will take the time and fix this behavior: generating high CPU background behavior on every page without explicit user engagement is rogue behavior. Hopefully they will acknowledge and fix this.
Spread the word.
Have a great week end.
Update: Thanks to the AddThis team for the responsiveness. They have acknowledged the issue and are working on a fix. We will let you know as soon as the fix is out.